We love stories about your Optimist Club. Please tell us one and we'll add it to the website.
Click here, email, or post to Facebook. Thank you!

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Optimist goes from British Columbia to India to share hope and positive vision


K.P. Aujilay, member, Optimist Club of Vancouver, BC wrote in this week with a story of international proportions. Read on! 
For the last 12 years I have been coordinating Oratorical and Essay Contests for the Vancouver Optimist Club. I am amazed at the insight of young students now a days. They are not only thinking of their own communities they are also aware of what goes on the world. 
I was born in India. Realizing that this spirit of optimism could do wonders for children in developing countries like India I often wondered the best way to assist children in my country of birth.

Optimist International does not have Optimist Clubs in India. But this did not stop me. With financial assistance from my family,ten years ago I started holding Essay Contests at local colleges close to where my parents live. Education and Sports are my passion. This passion also encouraged me to start holding Annual Track Meet for Elementary and High School students for schools close to where my parents live in India. 
It has been an amazing and fulfilling experience. It also taught me that rich or poor children are always full of dreams. I am glad that I am able to assist in bringing out the best in kids; kids that do not get the same opportunities that our kids get in developed countries.

Well done, K.P.! Thank you for sharing your optimism abroad and at home.

Popular Posts