The Optimist International Convention is a place for leaders and others to gather in order to advance the organization. It is the only place where members can directly voice their opinions on amendments to the organization's bylaws which in turn helps guide Optimist International in a responsible manner. Issues considered this year were:
- Youth Clubs name change to Junior Optimist International Clubs - pass
- Youth Club age rule (matches with school year) - pass
- Charter fee and invoice date for college clubs changed to biannually - pass
- Qualifications for International Officers - pass as amended (removed "ethical character" language)
- Processing fees raise to $20 - fail
- District S/T term limits set at 3 consecutive years - pass
- Exchange rate set at $1.20 - referred to Audit and Finance Committee
- Exhange rate set at par - withdrawn
Additionally, members wanting to do their best as club and district leaders receive valuable insights and education at workshops designed especially for them. They also establish cooperative networks with other Optimist Club and District leaders to assist and encourage them as they move forward in their Optimist and professional careers.
Optimist International announced that special emphasis is being given to younger members. It has established a Facebook group, #youngOI, where younger members can share ideas and establish mentors from outside their immediate areas in an effort to share the responsibility of membership growth and propel the organization to 100,000 members through community service.