The NOW concept is simple - Your Optimist Club invites a group of prospective new members to a single event, explains what the Optimist Club is and what it does in the community, and then asks those assembled to join. When one person says yes, the group dynamics emboldens others to join as well.
Over the years, it has proved to be quite effective; however, it is important to follow the guidelines. Straying far from the recipe can lead to poor results as potential members become lost in the program delivery.
Here's what to do for a successful NOW program:
- Set the location, date and time of the event - allow ample time for invitations, but not too long for enthusiasm to wane. Three to four weeks in advance seems about right.
- Identify potential new members
- Send a letter to each prospective new member inviting them to the event
- Follow-up by phone and email to remind invitees to attend
- At the event, serve a meal, appetizers, desserts, drinks, or the like in order to allow time for networking
- Begin the presentation on time
- Show and tell about the Optimist Club's programs in short, no more than three-minute stories
- Have a closer wrap up the stories, explain the dues and fees, share a personal testimony, and ASK for the sale
- Have applications already at the tables, within reach, with Optimist Club members available to help the potential new member complete them NOW
- Raise hands and voices when someone joins so that others catch the wave of excitement and join as well
- Follow-up after the event with those who don't join at the event to extend the New Optimist Welcome pitch
- Click here for the NOW brochure from Optimist International.
The entire activity should be approximately one to one and one half hours long. It's important to respect your attendees time and to offer them value for their attendance. Networking and learning about something good in their community are benefits for small business owners and the efficient timeline allows them to move on to their next appointment in a timely manner. Such a first impression will encourage busy, career-minded individuals to give your Optimist Club a try.
NOW all you need to do is give them the opportunity to join an Optimist Club.